An author from a target language-speaking
• A detailed study of at least one novel or collection
of short stories, plus personal appraisal
• The themes/ideas/messages of the author
• How these themes/ideas/messages are
ALF literature covers 12 authors' works including some of the most popular choices. View titles
A period of 20th century history from a target language-speaking country/community
• Main events of the period
• Causes of these events
• The importance/influence/effects of these events
• The ideas and influences of at least two individuals who made a significant impact during the period
• Specific actions of these individuals plus an
appraisal of the importance of these actions
• A personal perspective: Would I have liked to live in that period?
ALF literature includes the excellent "Ils partiront dans l'ivresse" written by Lucie Aubrac and including considerable reference to "Max", or Jean Moulin. It covers allof the main elements above.
ALF cinema includes Louis Malle's thought provoking "Milou en mai" where a parallel revolution takes place in a southwestern country home as the actual events happen in the capital.
A director, architect, musician or painter from a target language-speaking country/community
• A detailed study of at least one work of the artist, plus a personal appraisal
ALF cinema resources include 2 works by each of François Truffaut, Louis Malle and Claude Berri. In addition SG has written 8 study guides for linguascope which can be purchased here. Visit shop